[gdal-dev] [gdal2tiles.py] python engineering

Grégory Bataille gregory.bataille at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:48:00 PST 2017

Hello,

If I want to really spend some time for this utility, I'd like to do some
clean engineering around it.
What I'd like to do is:

- split the script into several files (smaller, single purpose, ...)
--> can you confirm that on all target platform, all .py files are deployed
and the /usr/local/bin/gdal2tiles.py is just an hyperlink on the source
file installed somewhere else?
--> do you see any issue with that?

- Introduce a standard unittesting platform - pytest + tox I guess - (on
top of the autotest thing, I would not attempt to redo them all) that would
be incorporated in the CI

- Clean up the code: follow PEP8 and fix pylint issues. Put PEP8 and pylint
in the CI. Rename the hell out of the variables because I'm banging my head
with rx, ry, lrux and the like :)

Any comments, warnings, problems you can think of?

Cheers

---
Gregory Bataille