[gdal-dev] .exe extension missing for gdal-2.2.0 binaries

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jun 9 01:30:59 PDT 2017

On vendredi 9 juin 2017 12:16:17 CEST Velagandula, Sravan Kumar wrote:
> Hello,
>    I am trying to build gdal-2.2.0 from source on windows 7 64 bit using
> msys2 environment. gcc is 4.8.3.
>
>    This is the source I am using:
>    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.2.0/gdal-2.2.0.tar.gz
>
>    The binaries produced do not have the .exe extension. But building the
> gdal-2.0.3 produces the binaries
>    with the .exe extension. I am wondering if anyone else has across this
> issue and if so if they were able
>    to find a resolution. I appreciate your help.

Sravan,

I don't think this aspect of the project has changed in years. Did you use the same msys/
mingw toolchain when compiling GDAL 2.0 and GDAL 2.2 ? I suspect not

In configure.ac, the relevant snippet is :

dnl ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
dnl Check whether we need to add specific suffix for executables (.EXE when
dnl building for Windows). This test should work for the case of
dnl cross-compilation too.
dnl ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
case "${host_os}" in
    cygwin* | mingw32* | pw32*)
      EXE_EXT=.exe
      SO_EXT=dll
      ;;
    *)
      EXE_EXT=
      ;;
esac

I suspect that your toolchain is identified a bit differently.

Could you open "configure" in a text editor and add the following lines at the end of it :

echo "Host OS: '${host_os}'"

Then run configure again and report the value displayed

For example with the x86_64-w64-mingw32 cross-compilation toolchain (host: Linux), I get
the following, which matches the above expressions

Host OS: 'mingw32'

Even