[gdal-dev] Raster calculation optimalisation

Paul Meems bontepaarden at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 06:04:10 PDT 2017

Thanks all for your suggestions.

@Rutger and @Damian:
Thanks for your suggestion about the blocks.
I had a look at Rutger's links,
I create the input file myself so I can add 'TILES=YES' but I'm not sure
how to change my calculation code.
I see in this first link xbs, ybs = b1.GetBlockSize() But I don't see when
to use the xbs or ybs variables.
I assume I need to change the reading of the data: band.ReadRaster(0, line,
sizeX, 1, scanline, sizeX, 1, 0, 0); but I'm not sure how.
And how should I write back the block?

BTW. The main bottle-neck seems to be in the used formula parser.
With the formula it takes 68s, without the formule - just setting the
pixelvalue takes 3.3s and with the formula written in code pixelValue =
(float)Math.Exp(3.1 + 0.9 * f); it only takes 3.4s.
So not using mathparser has the highest benefits. I will do that first, but
I also want to understand the block reading and writing.

@Jan, thanks for your link to the other parser. I had a quick look and it
looks very promising. Sadly I couldn't get their C# example working.
I will look at as well.

Just a more general question.
Doesn't it makes sense if gdal would provide a gdal_calculate tool which
also is librified like VectorTranslate?
It seems lots of people are implementing it on their own.

Thanks,

Paul