[gdal-dev] Linking against gdal201.dll with different MSVC versions

Idan Miara idan at miara.com
Thu Mar 2 01:32:11 PST 2017

Hi,

I'm developing a c++ MSVC (2013 or 2015) program that depends on GDAL.
Currently I'm using the C API, and I might use the C++ API in the future.

I've run dependency walker on the recent version of gdal201.dll that is
distributed in osgeo4w, it depends on msvcr100.dll, thus I assume it was
compiled with MSVC2010.

I was wondering if I could encounter problems with my program for linking
against osgeo4w MSVC2010 gdal201 binaries while my program is compiled with
MSVC 2013 or 2015.
For that matter, does it make a difference if I use GDAL C API or the C++
API?

I see that GDAL can be compiled with MSVC2013 (gisinternals.com), and that
QGIS master is built with MSVC2015.
Is there a good reason for osgeo4w for keep choosing MSVC2010 for GDAL?

Kind Regards,
Idan.