[gdal-dev] Symlinks to VRTs

Luis Ressel aranea at aixah.de
Wed Mar 8 10:38:24 PST 2017

Hello,

VRTs can reference other files by relative paths. Upon reading such a
VRT, GDAL will evaluate the relative path based on the directory where
the VRT resides. Now, imagine the following situation:

* There's a directory a/ containing several raster files and a VRT
  referencing them.

* There's a second directory b/ containing a symlink to the VRT in a/ .

When I point GDAL at b/symlink.vrt, it will dereference the symlink
before evaluating the relative paths inside the VRT (and thus search
for the rasters in a/), whereas I would've expected GDAL to handle
the symlink transparently and search for the rasters in b/ .

Is this the intended behaviour? Unfortunately, I can't make much
sense of the relevant code in gdal/frmts/vrt/vrtsources.cpp.

Regards,
Luis Ressel