[gdal-dev] Dropping dlopen/LoadLibrary loading of proj.4 ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat May 6 04:58:06 PDT 2017

Hi,

Currently the default mode of linking GDAL with proj.4 is to use dynamic loading mechanism
(dlopen on Unix, LoadLibary on Windows). I believe the reason for that was that it could have
make it easier to use an alternate projection engine, but apparently nobody cared enough to
plug a new one, and it could be done with standard linking. One downside of the current
mechanism (besides code complication) is that it requires to list the exact library name of
proj4 in GDAL source code, which can change depending on the soname of proj4. And this can
cause subtle issues like
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6881

So I'd suggest just keeping standard linking mechanism, and renaming the current --with-
static-proj4 configure flag as --with-proj4, as the current name is confusing, and making it the
default behaviour.

Any thoughts ?

Even