[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr PROMOTE_TO_MULTI with linestrings?

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue May 16 13:54:14 PDT 2017

Hi,

Could you have a try with attached data that contains 2 linestrings?

ogr2ogr -f Postgresql PG:"dbname=gis host=localhost port=5432 user=user password=password" -overwrite -nln linetest -nlt promote_to_multi lines.shp --debug on

ogr2ogr -f Postgresql PG:"dbname=gis host=localhost port=5432 user=user password=password" -append -nln linetest -nlt promote_to_multi lines.shp --debug on

For me the result is a table named as "linetest" that contains 4 multilinestring geometries. I tried to fool ogr2ogr by creating first "linetest" with multipolygon geometries but it cleared the test and -overwrite changed the table into multilinestring just fine. I tested also with a polygon shapefile and I can tell that for me PROMOTE_TO_MULTI does work for both lines and polygons.

The SQL create statement captured from the database for the multilinestring case is

-- Table: public.linetest

-- DROP TABLE public.linetest;

CREATE TABLE public.linetest
(
  ogc_fid integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('linetest_ogc_fid_seq'::regclass),
  wkb_geometry geometry(MultiLineString),
  CONSTRAINT linetest_pkey PRIMARY KEY (ogc_fid)
)
WITH (
  OIDS=FALSE
);
ALTER TABLE public.linetest
  OWNER TO xxxx;

-- Index: public.linetest_wkb_geometry_geom_idx

-- DROP INDEX public.linetest_wkb_geometry_geom_idx;

CREATE INDEX linetest_wkb_geometry_geom_idx
  ON public.linetest
  USING gist
  (wkb_geometry);

Please check what you have in your first shapefile "tl_2016_us_county.shp ". Could it be that it contains polygon(s)? If it does it explains everything.

-Jukka Rahkonen-