[gdal-dev] Possible to determine whether a vector format is spatial?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 20:16:43 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there's any way of determining through driver
metadata whether a particular format supports geometry or not?

Looking through the metadata shown by ogrinfo --format, I can't see
anything that could be used to differentiate spatial formats vs
non-spatial formats (eg xls, xlsx, ods). Is there another way I could
test for this support?

I'm wanting to cut down the list of supported output formats in the
QGIS UI for operations where only formats with spatial support make
sense.

Regards,
Nyall