[gdal-dev] Merge many raster using maximum value where overlaps

Rutger kassies at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 01:23:00 PST 2017

You could also consider using the VRT pixel functions (since 2.2). I'm not
sure about the performance when using the Python pixel functions (or perhaps
with Numba), i haven't done any benchmarks. It might be a 'nice to have' if
some statistics like max,min,std are added to the default functions if that
will be a lot faster. I'm not sure how much effort that would take, but
given that mul, diff etc are already there perhaps its really easy.

You can make a normal VRT mosaic with gdalbuildvrt, and then add the pixel
function to it yourself. The part you should add looks something like:

More information can be found at:
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html#gdal_vrttut_derived_python

Regards,
Rutger