[gdal-dev] WCS driver

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Mon Oct 23 11:45:26 PDT 2017

On 10/23/2017 05:20 PM, Ari Jolma wrote:
> jratike80 kirjoitti 23.10.2017 klo 17:23:
>> Ari Jolma-2 wrote
>>> I could begin with the gdalinfo WCS:... to list the subdatasets. I guess
>>> that's enough for some time.
>> My personal opinion is that developing anything for WCS 1.x versions is
>> waste of time. WCS 2.x is much better standard and it is quite a lot
>> different than 1.x.
>
> Are you saying that WCS 2 is too different from 1 to be developed into the
> same driver? I'm not familiar enough with the specs to judge that.

I do not know the driver code. Maybe code can be reused, but it should be
inspected carefully whether it adheres to the WCS 2 semantics.

If you need to test code: use the OGC compliance test suite.
If you need to explore & learn WCS: look at http://standards.rasdaman.com, this
is a small 1D ... 5D demo site. And see the tutorials collection on
www.earthserver.eu/webinars .

> What prompted me into this matter was a need to develop a client for ArcGIS
> WCS server, which advertises only different versions of WCS 1. I see from
> ArcGIS server docs that it supports WCS 2.

Starting 10.3, ESRI supports WCS 2.
If you are looking for clients: we are using WCS 2 through OpenLayers, Leaflet,
QGIS, NASA WorldWind, and several more. Should the clients not yet support it
natively let us know, we have the code (likely just not yet propagated into
these projects).

-Peter