[gdal-dev] WCS driver

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Oct 23 11:47:32 PDT 2017

On lundi 23 octobre 2017 18:31:58 CEST Ari Jolma wrote:
> Peter Baumann kirjoitti 23.10.2017 klo 18:01:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > splendid idea! Anybody who feels like working on WCS 2 support, feel free
> > to contact me or my group for any sort of explanations sought (I am the
> > spec writer of the coverages, admittedly). Note that the Coverage
> > Implementation Schema (CIS) 1.1 is out.  Maybe this is a good starter:
> > http://external.opengeospatial.org/twiki_public/CoveragesDWG/WebHome .
>
> "universe of optional extensions"
>
> sounds like a fun software development project :)
>
> In short, how well do you see WCS 2 / the coverage model fits GDAL data
> model? It's not just raster anymore, right?

You can certainly expose traditional 2D rasters with WCS 2. This is what
MapServer does for example. If you want to deal with higher dimension
coverages too, you'd probably have to use the subdataset concept of GDAL (if
there are not too many values on the other axis) or require the user to set
the values of the n > 2 dimensions. This was already the case in the current
driver with the time dimension.

Even