[gdal-dev] Multidimensional raster support in GDAL

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 23:05:27 PDT 2017

Even Rouault kirjoitti 25.10.2017 klo 22:22:

> On mercredi 25 octobre 2017 14:42:54 CEST Ari Jolma wrote:
>
> > I'd like to first know / decide what would we mean by a
>
> > "multidimensional raster"?
>
> The current rasters handled by GDAL are already multidimensional

I was aiming at the 'multidimensional raster' to a case where the
location (raster cell) data is multidimensional. You get
multidimensional data whenever you have an axis along which you can do
measurements (time, depth, electromagnetic spectrum, simulation number,
etc). I'd take the location as the basis that probably shouldn't need
extending for GDAL. Or do we want to support taking X,Y,T data from a
format that supports it and slice it to X,T for another format? Maybe
that makes sense for some visualization and analysis purposes, but is
that what GDAL should support at some point? Are there compelling use cases?

Would it be possible to keep X,Y as it is and add support for
multidimensional data as an extension?

Ari