[gdal-dev] Multidimensional raster support in GDAL

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Oct 26 10:17:08 PDT 2017

On jeudi 26 octobre 2017 09:05:27 CEST Ari Jolma wrote:
> Even Rouault kirjoitti 25.10.2017 klo 22:22:
> > On mercredi 25 octobre 2017 14:42:54 CEST Ari Jolma wrote:
> > > I'd like to first know / decide what would we mean by a
> > >
> > > "multidimensional raster"?
> >
> > The current rasters handled by GDAL are already multidimensional
>
> I was aiming at the 'multidimensional raster' to a case where the
> location (raster cell) data is multidimensional. You get
> multidimensional data whenever you have an axis along which you can do
> measurements (time, depth, electromagnetic spectrum, simulation number,
> etc). I'd take the location as the basis that probably shouldn't need
> extending for GDAL.

> Or do we want to support taking X,Y,T data from a
> format that supports it and slice it to X,T for another format? Maybe
> that makes sense for some visualization and analysis purposes, but is
> that what GDAL should support at some point? Are there compelling use cases?

I don't have an opinon about slicing X,Y,T to X,T

> Would it be possible to keep X,Y as it is and add support for
> multidimensional data as an extension?

That could be indeed an option if we are sure that the 2 first dimensions are X and Y, and we
want only to slice higher dimensionnal variables to X,Y.

So instead of having a general purpose indexing mechanism as I scetched initially an option
would be to expose the extra dimensions/axis, their bounds. The user could set the values at
which to set the values at which those extra dimensions must be considered, so as to get a
fully constrainted X,Y indexed field.
The main advantage of this is that it would have presumably no impact on 2D-only drivers.

Even