[gdal-dev] About CMake build again

Hiroshi Miura miurahr at linux.com
Sat Oct 28 07:52:31 PDT 2017

Hi,

Dmitry, Thank you for starting the thread.
I'm Hiroshi, a newbie as user and dev of GDAL. I'm OSM mapper.

On 2017/10/28 06:06, Dmitry Baryshnikov wrote:

> As Even said it make sense to move discussion from this ticket (https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/7080) to the list.

The ticket (https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/7080) is my proposal.
I put it because there are significant improvements in CMake ecosystem in recent days.

-  CMake support in Visual Studio 2017.
  (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2016/10/05/cmake-support-in-visual-studio/)
      VS17 bundles CMake 3.9 into their tool chains.
      It helps editing code and debugging a C/C++ project with CMake.

- JetBrains CLion only supports CMake.
   CLion appeared in 2014.   Current CLion 2017.2 bundles CMake 3.8.

When I made a small contribution for GML driver recently,
I had a frustration to make changes on GDAL source tree.
If changing code and  unit test cycle become speedy, it would be better.

It is because I want to improve a development experience using C/C++ IDE.
After short research, I reached a conclusion to use CMake with GDAL source tree,
and work with CLion IDE on my Linux laptop.

> Finally:
>
> Find the link to page with the CMake in GDAL discussion - https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/CMake

Wiki news point https://github.com/aashish24/gdal-svn/tree/cmake4gdal  as a  repository.

I tried it and catch up current GDAL  tree.
Unfortunately I didn't know Borsch project,
and a dependency issue discussed here in some years ago.

I eventually  updated cmake4gdal scripts to be able to read from CLion IDE on Linux/Windows.
https://github.com/miurahr/gdal/tree/compile_with_cmake

It can build a library with many drivers, python/perl bindings on Linux
and update vagrant script  to prepare clean compilation environment.
It also run autotest from CMake by specifying --target autotest

VS17 preview 2.0 can open this source tree as a VS native project on Windows10.
(compilation is not succeed)

Hiroshi Miura