[gdal-dev] OGC announces a new standard that improves the way information is referenced to the earth

Roberto Ribeiro robertofig85 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 05:40:13 PDT 2017

I too took that understanding from the text, Ari. I'll read the specs
later, but since they mention a lot Big Data and the raster <> vector
integration, I imagine it is akin to a geometry collection, but
encompassing a wider range of data types, and arranged in a pyramid/r-tree
-esque environment for faster processing.

If so, it's not an entirely novel idea (Esri's File GDB is mostly that, as
well as the entire CAD modelling), but one that would be interesting to
have an open standard for.