[gdal-dev] git(hub) migration ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Sep 6 11:36:13 PDT 2017

On 6 September 2017 at 15:14, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've heard a few voices speaking/asking/begging for a git/github migration.
> At some point we'll certainly have to do it, as SVN vs git is beginning to
> feel more and more like CVS vs SVN 15 years ago.
>
> I can see different options :
> [...]
>
> 3) migrate code and tickets to github. I guess this would match most
> (especially occasional) contributor wishes regarding the "social" aspect.
> What would be needed is Trac -> github ticket migration. Thomas Bonfort did
> it for MapServer at some point, but he lost the script if I remember well (I
> can see in
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6671584/how-to-export-trac-to-github-issues
> a number of possibilities listed). One issue also is we have numbers taken
> by existing github pull requests, so there would be collisions on import (we
> could decide either to sacrifice colliding Trac tickets, as there are really
> old, currently the colision appear for tickets older than 2003, or move them
> to an available github ticket number. Or to sacrifice existing PR, but there
> are a few pending ones)
>
> There's also the valid concern about being tied with github.com regarding
> tickets. Recently I found
> https://github.com/josegonzalez/python-github-backup
>
> which can backup code, issues, pull requests, etc.. using the github API.
>

> My synthetic view of the situation:
> [...]
> 3) offers probably the best contributor experience. We loose a bit of
> control, but a backup(*) strategy exists (at least for now). I'd tend to
> favor this approach.

As member of the development team, I'm very much support this motion
and move to GitHub.

> So this email is mostly to say I'm open to the idea, but I'd appreciate if
> someone else could take the lead on this. I'd be happy to help. A RFC to
> formalize the move would be needed.

If no one offers her/him-self to do it earlier, I am willing to offer myself to
migrate GDAL to GitHub in mid October.

Then, I will prepare RFC, ask for comments and voting,
develop Trac to GitHub workflow using existing tools and/or custom
scripting in Python,
test with sandbox mirror and push final migration.