[gdal-dev] RFC68: C++11 compilation mode - Call for vote on adoption

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Wed Sep 6 16:01:22 PDT 2017

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 21:22:18 +0100, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net>
wrote:

> On 6 September 2017 at 21:53, Kurt Schwehr <schwehr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was just about to write something along the lines that follow, but
>> Mateusz
>> looks to have more of an understanding.
>>
>> My best guess was that it is an incomplete install of Windows?  e.g.
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows
>
> Universal C Runtime and Universal Windows Platform are two different
> beasts.
> Universal C Runtime is part of Windows 10+ system
> Kurt's link above leads to installer of Universal CRT for older
> Windows versions.
>
> Here is into to Universal CRT
> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2015/03/03/introducing-the-universal-crt/
>
> It is all related to the fact that VS2015 and VS2017 are binary
> compatible.

Well, this is in the minimum confusing and I may have been mislead by my
TortoiseSVN installation that ships those dlls. The link says:

"If you build software designed for use on Windows operating systems where
the Universal CRT is not guaranteed to be installed (i.e., Windows 8.1 and
below), your software will need to depend on the above mentioned Windows
Update packages to install the Universal CRT."

Which means that below Win10 they are nor guarantied to be installed

But I only find those DLLs in my system in (as also mentioned in that link)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC
and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10

as well as under

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox

or

C:\programs\TortoiseSVN\bin

and Dependency Walker shows me that VCRUNTIME140.DLL depend on those dlls