[gdal-dev] RFC68: C++11 compilation mode - Call for vote on adoption

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Fri Sep 8 23:30:31 PDT 2017

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017, Even Rouault wrote:

> If you look at Linux platforms that have not a default C++11-ready compiler (ie gcc < 4.8) and
> are still security maintained, I don't think there are that many. In Ubuntu world, 12.04 is no
> longer security maintained since April or May this year. And 14.04 old-LTS has GCC 4.8
> Debian old-old-stable wheezy has gcc 4.7 but will be end-of-life May 2018, so when GDAL
> trunk will be released. Debian old-stable jessie has gcc 4.9, so it is fine.
> RHEL/Centos 6 with gcc 4.4 and its super long support cycle is probably the only Linux distro
> that don't have the requirements out-of-the-box and still be security maintained at the time
> GDAL trunk is released.

Red Hat have "Software Collections" with several newer version of gcc
(up to 4.9.2 and 5.3.1) that can be installed on RHEL/CentOS 6 alongside
the system compilers; these build code which is compatible with the system
libraries.

C++11 should not be a major problem for RHEL/CentOS 6.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison					Cambridge, UK
 			andrew at aitchison.me.uk