[gdal-dev] Achieving Better WKT -> EPSG Code Autodetection When Importing Layers to Postgis

Andrew Joseph ap.joseph at live.com
Sat Sep 23 10:41:54 PDT 2017

Even:

> No need for a complicated thing like a JNI bridge, but someone has to
code it in GDAL. All the basic functionnality is there. Just needs to be
put together.

The main reason I suggested geotools is that one only needs to write only a
few trivial lines of code to get the correct EPSG identifier for a given
WKT string -so in theory, most of the work would be the JNI bindings
themselves. I provided a working sample below that would autodetect the
example SRID correctly as 2277. The only downside I have encountered so far
is the slow search speed -but that could be mitigated by caching strings
that have already been mapped. I wonder if there is a repository somewhere
that has a large number of arbitrary WKT strings from "the wild" mapped to
the correct EPSG code -would be useful for getting at least a rough sense
of accuracy for any given wkt -> epsg conversion solution.

Andrea:

> prj2epsg.org uses that (a much older version of it actually) along with
pure and simple full text search matches.

I was actually the person who asked them to put up that repo up on github
because I initially wanted to try their codebase for wkt -> epsg
conversion, thinking that it would be superior (and faster) than raw
geotools -but was astounded when I saw the wrong projection come back for
the WKT string. It might be worth submitting a pull request with updated
dependencies -since prj2epsg is typically referenced in various open source
GIS documentation and on gis.stackexchange as the simplest way to upload a
.prj file and get back the correct EPSG code.

import org.geotools.factory.Hints;
import org.geotools.referencing.CRS;
import org.opengis.referencing.FactoryException;

public class BasicWktParser {

  static {
    System.setProperty("org.geotools.referencing.forceXY", "true");
    Hints.putSystemDefault(Hints.FORCE_AXIS_ORDER_HONORING, "http");
    Hints.putSystemDefault(Hints.COMPARISON_TOLERANCE, 1e-9);
  }

  public static void main(String[] args) throws FactoryException {
    String identifier = CRS.lookupIdentifier(CRS.parseWKT(args[0]), true);
    System.out.println(identifier);
  }

}

 relevant build.gradle declarations:

dependencies {
    compile (group: 'org.geotools', name: 'gt-epsg-hsql', version: '17.2') {
        exclude module: 'jai_core'
    }
    compile (group: 'org.geotools', name: 'gt-epsg-extension', version:
'17.2') {
        exclude module: 'jai_core'
    }
}