[gdal-dev] /MD vs /MDd for DEBUG MSVC builds

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Sep 27 12:52:45 PDT 2017

On 27 September 2017 at 21:38, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> Once again someone raised an issue about the MSVC runtime we use for DEBUG=1
> builds: https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/7059
>
> [...]
> Personnaly I believe I've never used a Windows build, so I'm mostly
> indifferent
>
> Any opinion about using the debug MSVC runtime (/MDd) for DEBUG=1 builds
> instead of the current release runtime (/MD) ?

Even,

Yesterday, I started thinking about adding an extra build configuration to NMAKE
makefile, controlled via command line defines, to enable such proper/full debug
build for Windows.

IMO, debug builds w/o /MDd are somewhat unexpected or exotic.
As one of Windows users and developers, I'd vote for the default
MSVC configuration for debug builds of GDAL.

This would also help a bit with binary packages for Visual C++,
currently, it requires nmake.opt patching.
https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg/pull/1879