[gdal-dev] /MD vs /MDd for DEBUG MSVC builds

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Sep 27 15:31:51 PDT 2017

On 28 Sep 2017 00:08, "Carl Godkin" <cgodkin at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 12:38 PM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> For those who don't understand the title, you may skip this email ;-)
>

> Once again someone raised an issue about the MSVC runtime we use for
> DEBUG=1 builds:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/7059
>

> and in https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6384 about the same issue,
> there are 4 similar tickets raised.
>

> So it seems our default is a recurring problem.
>

> Personnaly I believe I've never used a Windows build, so I'm mostly
> indifferent
>

> Any opinion about using the debug MSVC runtime (/MDd) for DEBUG=1 builds
> instead of the current release runtime (/MD) ?

Hi Even,

Since you ask, I can tell you that changing "/MD" to "/MDd" is one of just
two remaining edits that I have to make to nmake.opt before I build a new
version of GDAL.

Yup, me too and I think most GDAL as library users on Windows do it as
well.

(By the way, the other item in nmake.opt that I can't override with an
EXT_NMAKE_OPT
file is that we don't want to build with

ODBC_SUPPORTED = 1

If that were changed to use the !IFNDEF ODBC_SUPPORTED then I wouldn't have
to edit nmake.opt at all which would be very handy.)

Then, why not submit a patch or pull request. I think it's good idea.

Mateusz