[gdal-dev] Geolocation arrays - location interpretation

Agram, Piyush S (334D) Piyush.Agram at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 28 15:18:31 PDT 2017

Hi Even,
    I implemented the bilinear weighting like we discussed and that took out the systematic pixel shift from 1 to 0.5 (sign depending on orientation).
You can see the changes here:
https://github.com/piyushrpt/gdal/commit/b199cbae9ea15e31c787c1480c342bb84debf774

I also tried playing with the upsampling factor (1.3 to 4.0) and the discrepancy numbers were consistent after 1.5. Probably, the minimum needs to be sqrt(2) for square pixels.
Using the weighting fixed the truncation / rounding error and the results seem consistent when I move the output extent around.

The systematic 0.5 pixel shift suggests that there is still an issue. Is my interpretation that the GeoLocTransformer is supposed to operate on pixel center coordinates correct?
i.e – if my geoloc arrays were regular grid and I feed in the coordinates to the transformer, they return pixel centers – 0.5,0.5 etc.
I’m going to try implementing some round trip checks to see if that shows something?

Piyush