[gdal-dev] VRT pixel functions on tiled vrt

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Apr 26 11:07:15 PDT 2018

So, if the gdal library queries for a region of the vrt (ie processing it in chunks), the numpy array will be just that region?  I'll give it a try.

What about something like viewing the whole vrt in QGIS - will it be read in chunks as well?  IOW, is it the GDAL library that breaks it into chunks at reading, or is it the responsibility of programs (gdal_translate, QGIS,...) to ask for chunks?

> On Apr 26, 2018, at 12:59 PM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
>
> On jeudi 26 avril 2018 12:56:10 CEST William Kyngesburye wrote:
> > So, a vrt of a vrt?
>
> Yes
>

> > I wanted to avoid that, because as I understand the source, it reads each
> > raster in the derived band as a single numpy array, which would be all the
> > tiled rasters together.
>
> No, if you use gdal_translate, it will process the source by reasonable chunks, so you should be able to process arbitrarily large sources.
>
> Even
>
> --
> http://www.spatialys.com <http://www.spatialys.com/>_______________________________________________
-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We can die but once, and that once we must die.  To be always fearing, then, would not avert it, and would make life miserable."

- Tarzan, on death