[gdal-dev] How to copy the EXIF metadata?

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Aug 2 13:17:53 PDT 2018

Hi,

Referring to this question on gis.stackexchange https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/291554/how-to-retrieve-exif-tags-from-a-geotiff-with-gdal.

The GTiff driver manual https://www.gdal.org/frmt_gtiff.html informs me that "Starting with GDAL 1.10, EXIF metadata can be extracted from the file, and will be stored the EXIF metadata domain"  but is there any example about how to do it? I had a try by downloading  this image from GDAL autotests https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OSGeo/gdal/master/autotest/gcore/data/exif_and_gps.tif.

If I run
gdal_translate -of GTiff exif_and_gps.tif exif_and_gps_copy.tif

and test the result with
gdalinfo -listmdd exif_and_gps_copy.tif

it seems that the EXIF metadata domain and tags are dropped.

Test made with GDAL 2.4.0dev.

-Jukka Rahkonen-