[gdal-dev] Adding subdataset into GeoPackage raster with -a_srs requires also RASTER_TABLE

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Aug 7 03:22:20 PDT 2018

Hi,

I was doing some tests with GeoPackage rasters and found that if I define -a_srs then also -co RASTER_TABLE is required which feels unnecessary.
Steps to reproduce:

Create initial gpkg
gdal_translate -of GPKG global_mosaic_0.png raster.gpkg -a_srs epsg:4326

Try to add a subdataset and assign srs for that too
gdal_translate -of GPKG global_mosaic_1.png raster.gpkg -a_srs epsg:4326 -co APPEND_SUBDATASET=YES
0ERROR 1: RASTER_TABLE must be set to a non empty value

Append subdataset without -a_srs succeeds even if I do not give the name for the raster table.

I know that the corner coordinates which are reported from the whole GeoPackage which contains several subdatasets are meaningless, but I still wonder why it reports just range 0-512 which does not fit with any of my raster tables nor with the pixel space used by the tiles. Is it a hardcoded value?

gdalinfo raster.gpkg
Size is 512, 512
Coordinate System is `'
Subdatasets:
  SUBDATASET_1_NAME=GPKG:raster.gpkg:raster
  SUBDATASET_1_DESC=raster - raster
  SUBDATASET_2_NAME=GPKG:raster.gpkg:global_mosaic_1
  SUBDATASET_2_DESC=global_mosaic_1 - global_mosaic_1

Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0,  512.0)
Upper Right (  512.0,    0.0)