[gdal-dev] Building GDAL with PROJ4 on Android

René Hansen renehh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 03:37:05 PDT 2018

Hey Chris,

>From a previous yak-shaving-adventure, I've dabbled in building Proj and
Geos for Android, because they were dependencies of Spatialite, which I'm
using for an app.

That resulted in a homegrown build system based on docker, aptly named:
Building for Android with Docker. It is meant as a repository for working
build sets for various native libs.

I didn't previously have GDAL in there, but decided to give it a shot and
add it, to see how much effort was required. Not much as it were.

I've added GDAL now, with a compile-time dependency for Proj, so it
shouldn't be more of a hassle than simply checking out the repo and then
"make gdal".

Instructions for how to extract the libraries from the container, is in the
readme. Here's the link to the repo:

https://github.com/rhardih/bad

I've built and tried a very simple Android app, and added some of the
source from https://gdal.org/gdalinfo.c.html, to see if the libs actually
loaded up and Proj was supported. It seems to work just fine. You can find
the example app, source and output here:

https://github.com/rhardih/gdal-proj-android

So far I've only used this project for personal consumption, and I need to
do a lot of grooming and test/writing before it's really ready for public
use, but this might solve your problem in this instance.

Best regards,

René Hansen