[gdal-dev] Construct a VRT such that is sees IMD, RPB, XML files?

Patrick Young patrick.mckendree.young at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 11:40:27 PST 2018

Hi all,

I'm got some code that builds a VRT out of a bunch of image tiles.  These
tiles were originally chipped out of a DigitalGlobe 1B GeoTIFF that came
with extra metadata, specifically gdalinfo reports that its finding a .IMD,
.RPB, and .XML files along with the TIF itself, and gives me a nice summary
of the RPCs among other things.

My goal is to get the same behavior (e.g. recognize the RPCs) when I run
gdalinfo on the VRT.  Is there a field to add to the xml that composes the
VRT to get the driver to notice this?  My VRT is named with the same prefix
as all the metadata files, just like the original GeoTIFF, so it has me
thinking that the GeoTIFF driver is special in looking for these sidecars.
If I translate the VRT to a GeoTIFF with the same prefix, everything looks
good.

Thanks for any insights!
Patrick