[gdal-dev] GDAL 2.4.0 RC1 available

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Dec 14 14:09:53 PST 2018

Hi,

I've issued a release candidate for GDAL 2.4.0.

[Remainder to contributors (this mostly affects occasional contributors
unlikely to read this message, anyway...): please make an effort to produce
easy-to-process commit messages for the purpose of building the NEWS file.

Extract from CONTRIBUTING.md:
{{{
Commit message
--------------

Indicate a component name (eg a driver name), a short description and when
relevant, a reference to a issue (with 'fixes #' if it actually fixes it)

```
COMPONENT_NAME: fix bla bla (fixes #1234)

Details here...
```
}}}

Be aware that the raw material I started from to prepare NEWS was > 7000 line
long with 1094 commits. If I cannot infer from the commit message which
utility/driver/component is affected, I must specifically display the commit,
which is not fun.]

~~~~~~~~

The source is available at:

    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.4.0/gdal-2.4.0rc1.tar.xz
    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.4.0/gdal-2.4.0rc1.tar.gz
    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.4.0/gdal240rc1.zip

A snapshot of the Python autotest suite can be downloaded from:

    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.4.0/gdalautotest-2.4.0rc1.tar.gz
    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.4.0/gdalautotest-2.4.0rc1.zip

GDAL-GRASS plugin:

    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.4.0/gdal-grass-2.4.0.tar.gz

NEWS page:

   https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/Release/2.4.0-News

I'll call for a vote to promote it to final at the middle of next week if
nothing serious is reported before.

I have created the release/2.4 branch from current master, so new developments
can occur in master. Bug fixes that apply to 2.4 should be committed in master
and cherry-picked in release/2.4

Even