[gdal-dev] Building pyramids with gdaladdo

Gil gilpeleg at live.com
Sat Feb 17 00:12:13 PST 2018

Hey,

I got a gpkg file I converted from tiff using gdal_translate, it originally has level 17 tiles.
I'd like to build it's pyramids till I reach a level with only 1 tile, I tried using gdaladdo, and when I built it with 2-256 factors, I got a result that has level 18-11 where level 11 has two tiles.

I got two problems, I don't understand how I got level 18 after building pyramids upwards?
And I'd like to reach one tile, so I tried using 512, however I get an error asking me to use gpkg_zoom_other, I don't understand why, and I am not sure how to use it?
The error i'm getting is:
Warning 1: Use of overview factor 512 causes gpkg_zoom_other extension to be needed
ERROR 1: Could not find dataset corresponding to ov factor 512

Would appreciate some help routing me in the right direction.

Thanks!