[gdal-dev] gdalbuildvrt with different resolutions

Christoph Paulik cpaulik at vandersat.com
Wed Feb 28 06:14:51 PST 2018

Hi,

What I imagined would be the option for getting an error message if not all of the files have
the same resolution.

Something like -allow_projection_difference but the other way around.

Maybe -disallow_different_resolutions is clearer than my previous suggestion.

All the best,
Christoph

jratike80 writes:

> Christoph Paulik wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> Would it be possible/a good idea to add an option to gdalbuildvrt to force
>> all files
>> to be of the same resolution?
>>
>> We have files that go into a VRT that should all have the same
>> resolution and I would like an error to be raised if they do not. We
>> could of course implement an external check but I think this would be a
>> good feature for gdal.
>>
>> An argument like
>>
>> -resolution same
>>
>> could force a check.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Christoph
>
> Hi,
>
> The "-skip_different_projection" option in the gdaltindex utility
> http://www.gdal.org/gdaltindex.html has some analogy with your suggestion.
>
> You did not define the meaning of "same" and "different" resolutions. Would
> you like to give the "right" resolution by hand or should all the files be
> pre-scanned so that user gets a list of all different resolutions that
> appear in the data?
>
> I feel that your need is rather specific for a general purpose tool like
> gdalbuildvrt. What if you write a Python file filtering script and publish
> that for example in
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/swig/python/samples, topped
> up with a manual page in the user wiki section? Such script could be made to
> filter the source files according to other criteria as well: SRS, band
> count, bit depth, metadata etc.
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-

Christoph Paulik
VanderSat // Remote Sensing Scientists
Wilhelminastraat 43a, 2011 VK, Haarlem (NL), The Netherlands
W: www.vandersat.com
PGP: 8CFC D7DF 2867 B2DC 749B  1B0A 6E3B A262 5186 A0AC