[gdal-dev] Disk space problems when creating in-mem VRT

Roberto Ribeiro robertofig85 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 03:49:22 PST 2018

I'm trying to warp a pretty big raster (120601 x 162961) into a reprojected
VRT. I can do that just fine when writing the VRT to disk, it finishes
processing in about 15 seconds and generates a meager 3KB file.

However, when trying to do the same with an in-memory VRT, it accuses
unavailability of disk space:

>>> gdal.WarpOptions(format = 'VRT', dstSRS = 'EPSG:4674')
>>> vrt = gdal.Warp('/vsimem/dem_4674.vrt', '/vsimem/dem_31837')
ERROR 3: Free disk space available is 68643950592 bytes, whereas
84446749816 are at least necessary. You can disable this check by defining
the CHECK_DISK_FREE_SPACE configuration option to FALSE.

I'm finding this advice of flagging check_disk_free_space to false a bit
sketchy, so I'm reluctant to try it just like that. Is it really a problem
of disk space? I have 1.3TB of free space, and moreover, why would an
in-memory processing even require writing anything to disk? Is this related
to virtual memory? And if so, why does this behaviour not present itself
when writing the VRT to disk?

Specs:
GDAL 2.2.1 64-bits, python 2.7.13 64-bits, Windows 10 64-bits