[gdal-dev] Sentinel-1 SLC georeferencing

Gong, Shawn SGONG at mdacorporation.com
Mon Jan 15 13:03:28 PST 2018

Hi list,

I am using gdal 2.2.3.  I see that there is a GDAL driver for Sentinel-1 'manifest.safe' and I tested it against the tough case of the SLC (complex).

These SLC products consists of three HH-HV dual-pol images.  They only overlap ~2 to 3% at the edges. When I load the *.tiff one-by-one in OpenEV viewer.

However when I load the 'manifest.safe' in OpenEV viewer, GDAL georeferencing is wrong. Three GTiff images are overlapped almost 100%.  When I run 'gdalinfo manifest.safe', the results only show GCPs from the 3rd image (s1a-iw3-slc-vh-########-003.tiff).

When the Sentinel-1 was developed, were SLC cases tested?

Also the new RCM is going to use the 'manifest.safe' file too. There could be a conflict, if file name 'manifest.safe' is used to identify the sensors.

Thanks,
Shawn