[gdal-dev] Docker images for development/testing?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jul 16 14:07:42 PDT 2018

> I made a very rough proof of concept out of the trusty_clang travis
> scripts...

> Thoughts? Comments?

Good initiative. As far as I'm concerned, the scripts/setdevenv.sh on my
native Linux env does the job, but that indeed requires to have all the
dependencies right.

> Without other steering, I guess the next steps would be:
>
> - do it for the best/cleanest/modern/featureful environment & compiler
> rather than the venerable Trusty (which one?)

Ubuntu 18.04 would probably be better. I've added it recently as one of the CI
env, but using chroot instead of Docker (since I'm modestly familiate with it,
and mixing root and non-root steps didn't seem to be immediately trivial)

> - don't run as root, make sure steps are fully repeatable, etc

I see you work arounded some things of the existing CI scripts. They can be
adjusted if you need to.

> - ideally a bunch of the stuff in the existing ci .sh files would be in
> Makefiles or elsewhere I think?
> - have a script that runs configure/etc with all the options + dependencies
> that will work in the environment. (ie. extract more of install.sh)
> - keep the .o files in the container instance rather than the source tree?
> http://make.mad-scientist.net/papers/multi-architecture-builds/ via some
> autotools voodoo?

I didn't read the link but be aware that GDAL just uses autoconf and not
automake.

Even