[gdal-dev] spatial_ref and GeoTransform attributes for HDF5 datasets

Agram, Piyush S (334D) Piyush.Agram at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 19 21:05:18 PDT 2018

Hi,
    I’m looking for a simple convention to represent SRS and Geotransform information for HDF5 arrays. A fairly thorough reading of available HDF5 geospatial data representation specs hasn’t resulted in a satisfactory solution. I know that HDF-EOS5 is a published spec but the unintuitive naming of swaths and grids is not a satisfactory solution for what we are trying to accomplish. We would like a spec that allows us to

  1.  Support complex datasets (possible since GDAL 2.3). HDF-EOS5 does not support this.
  2.  Generate HDF5 files with different grids in the same file – one can think of some grids as low resolution support grids which can be interpolated on the fly to match the primary high resolution grids. This might be an issue for CF-compliant representation? We might want support to include different grids for different layers depending on support needed by interpolators.

I’ve also been looking through the netcdf driver in GDAL since this is closely related to HDF5 and noticed that there is a non-CF compliant representation that is still supported. I’m happy to work on implementing a similar solution for HDF5 – namely each dataset gets its own spatial_ref (str) and GeoTransform (array of floats/doubles) attributes.

I’m reaching out to see if similar/ alternate solutions have been proposed in the past or if something similar is in the works. If not, would a PR for a feature like this be of interest?

Thanks
Piyush