[gdal-dev] Wondering gdal_grid moving average interpolation

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 02:00:00 PST 2018

I'm translating things on QGIS and now looking at GDAL tool rasterizing
point data set with moving average interpolation.

That's making a call to gdal_grid with -a average.

I've got the attached result from a point set (circles with red border
and inside inverse grayscale with interpolated value). The call was

gdal_grid -l INPUT -zfield suuntap -a
average:radius1=8000.0:radius2=8000.0:angle=0.0:min_points=0:nodata=0.0
-ot Float32 -of GTiff INPUT.shp OUTPUT.tif

I'm wondering is that the expected since it looks like the raster cell
value is determined by point locations. I would have expected a much
more smooth surface without any obvious circular shapes. To me it looks
like the computation was not done cell by cell but instead point by point.

What am I missing or misunderstanding?

Ari

ps: This tool is in group 'Raster analysis'. In my opinion it should be
in a group 'Point data tools' or something.