[gdal-dev] Trac to GitHub

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Mar 19 09:48:49 PDT 2018

On 19 March 2018 at 15:15, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
> On lundi 19 mars 2018 14:55:14 CET Tamas Szekeres wrote:
>> I don't think the trac tickets should be closed automatically. The ticket
>> owners should decide either to close (with a meaningful comment) or copy
>> it's variant to github if necessary.
>> I'm fine with option #2 and #4 and preserving/updating the history would be
>> a plus, but not a necessary requirement.
>
> Yeah, we could still allow modifying existing tickets in Trac, but disable
> creation of new ones. If fixing a Trac ticket in git, the committer should
> make sure to add a manual message to the Trac ticket referencing the commit,
> but that's acceptable I guess.
>
> The advantage of 3) (close all tickets) is that it would be a good way to get
> rid of a lot of historical tickets still opened but about which nobody really
> takes care about.

Even,

If you see such puring as beneficial yourself, as the principal maintainer,
I see no reason to object.
If OP of a closed ticked does not come back, it could be interpreted as
either an issue is no longer an issue or OP is no longer interested in
solveing it.

Switching Trac to read-only, completely, would stop any activities
there (eg. commenting)
what I think would be good to kickstart actual switch to GitHub.