[gdal-dev] proj.5 support added in trunk

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Mar 21 07:14:49 PDT 2018

Hi,

I've just committed in trunk initial support for proj.5 API per:
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/41878

You have to use the to-be-released proj 5.0.1 / proj master to get all
reprojection results to work as expected.

proj.4 support remains for now. At some point, when proj 5 has been more largely adopted,
removing proj.4 support would help in cleaning up ogr/ogrct.cpp that has become quite
messy.

For now, GDAL uses the new proj.5 API in a similar way to the previous proj.4 API, so
it is mostly ready for the removal of the proj_api.h that will occur in the future (proj 7).
Note that I only added proj.5 API support if you use the explicit --with-proj configure flag (or
PROJ_FLAGS = -DPROJ_STATIC -DPROJ_VERSION=5 for MSVC), and not for the runtime loading
that uses dlopen()/LoadLibrary() that I'd wish to see retired at some point.

Next step would probably to add a -ct (for coordinate transform, alternate naming suggestions welcome)
switch to ogr2ogr, gdalwarp and gdaltransform so as to be able to specify a full proj.5 pipeline
to do advanced transforms
(see http://proj4.org/operations/pipeline.html and http://proj4.org/usage/transformation.html#transformation )

ogr2ogr -ct "+proj=pipeline +step +proj= .... +step ... " [-a_srs EPSG:XXXX] out in

Even