[gdal-dev] deb package for 2.2.3

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu May 3 22:28:03 PDT 2018

On 05/04/2018 07:11 AM, Grégory Bataille wrote:
> I'm running gdal 2.2.2 from ubuntu-gis/experimental .deb package and I just
> got stuck by https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/7143.
> Took me some time to debug because I develop locally on Mac, where the
> package is at 2.2.3 and the bug is fixed.
>
> What does it take to build the .deb package. Is this something that someone
> can do? is this something sufficiently scripted that I can do it and give
> you guys the result for publication?

In the case of UbuntuGIS, you can rebuild the source package from
Debian. The sources are available in git:

 https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/gdal
 https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/gdal-grass

Once you have rebuild the gdal package, you need to rebuild all reverse
dependencies (packages that depend on libgdal20) with the new gdal to
have them use the new virtual ABI dependency.

Because of interdependencies you need to rebuild the packages in the
correct order, have a look at:

 https://trac.osgeo.org/ubuntugis/wiki/BuildOrder

Note that this page may have become outdated again. The Debian GIS
transition trackers shows all libgdal20 reverse dependencies in Debian
unstable:

 https://linuxminded.nl/debian/gis-transitions/html/gdal.html

You will need to host all the rebuild packages in your own PPA to easily
install them. If your goal is to update the gdal packages in the
UbuntuGIS PPA, you need to coordinate your contributions on the
appropriate mailinglist:

Due to the lack of manpower, pretty much all the packages in the
UbuntuGIS PPA get copied from the OSGeoLive PPA where a little more
manpower is available to create backports of Debian GIS packages for
Ubuntu LTS releases.

The next OSGeoLive release will be based on bionic, and will rely for a
large part on the packages already available in Ubuntu because they're
up-to-date with the latest upstream releases. At least proj & gdal will
most likely be updated to 5.0.1 & 2.3.0 for OSGeoLive 12.0. So you can
also just wait for those packages to find their way from the OSGeoLive
PPA to the UbuntuGIS PPA. Contributing to OSGeoLive is also most welcome.

Kind Regards,

Bas