[gdal-dev] Coordinate system improvements - GDAL, libgeotiff, PROJ barn raising

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue May 15 08:27:00 PDT 2018

Hi all,

Excellent news: the last third of the funding was completed yesterday, so this project will
come true ! Thanks to all sponsors who have contributed making this possible [1]

So what does this mean for GDAL ? Obviously all the functionality mentionned below will
become available once implemented.

Most of the initial work will be done in PROJ first, with GDAL catching it up afterwards (or in
an experimental branch at first to follow the "eat your own dog food" principle). I'll come
back later with more concrete implementation plans.

I guess some disruption is to be expected temporarily as functionnality will move from GDAL
down to PROJ. This will probably mean that PROJ master will be a required dependency for
GDAL master (and PROJ 6.0 a minimum and compulsory requirement for GDAL 2.4)

Best regards,

Even

[1]
(Anonymous)