[gdal-dev] GDAL_CACHMAX on a docker container

Guy Doulberg guyd at satellogic.com
Wed May 23 03:30:30 PDT 2018

Hi guys

I wanted to share with you a GOTCHA I struggled with in the passed few
days, maybe it will be helpful for more people

I am using GDAL on a docker cluster, since there are more services running
on the host I limit the container to use only 1GB of ram

The default behavior of GDAL_CACHMAX is 5% of the available memory, but
apparently when running in above setup it sees the System memory, which
16GB and not 1GB.

On that container I ran 3 process of GDAL which means it calculated it can
use 2.4 GB approximately, but the container limitation was only 1GB

The result was that the OOM killer of the operating system killed those
processes because they exceeded memory.

To solve to issue (to control the memory the process is going to use) I
explictly set the GDAL_CACHMAX to an absolute value