[gdal-dev] Linking proj statically/dynamically

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Nov 3 00:30:27 PDT 2018

> This is confuing.  Perhaps changing the name of the macro would be
> helpful.  I could do this if nobody minds.

Feel free to do so

> In this case, since you're providing a SPECIFIC library path at
> configuration, it would seem reasonable to store that information in the
> created GDAL library.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what the point is, since you
> can provide a library search path at link time through the environment.

I see that there's an explicit --with-jvm-lib-add-rpath switch

> Why is proj special?  Why is it not always linked to the GDAL library like
> so many other things?  Why would one want to dlopen() proj instead of
> having it located as other libraries are located at link/runtime?  I'm sure
> there's a reason ;)

I believe initially it was envisionned that PROJ could be replaced by another
projection engine, and dlopen() would have figured which one was available.
This never happened. Anyway the dlopen() thing will go away when I'm going to
integrate the PROJ 6/master into GDAL, which will become anyway a required
dependency of GDAL.

Even