[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr clip operation very slow compared to QGIS

Peter Marlow Peter.Marlow at scisys.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 06:05:18 PST 2018

Hi,

I'm trying to clip some GML data via a fairly complex ShapeFile boundary using standard ogr2ogr and it is taking roughly 5 minutes before completing successfully. This same operation takes less than a second using the Clip operation in QGIS with exactly the same data. I was lead to believe that QGIS is using OGR under the hood to perform the clip operation, so my question is: why is my ogr2ogr clip command taking so much longer?

The command I'm running is:

ogr2ogr -f GML output_file input_file.gz -clipsrc clip_boundary.shp -clipsrclayer clip_boundary

Thanks,
Pete

SCISYS UK Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 4373530.
Registered Office: Methuen Park, Chippenham, Wiltshire SN14 0GB, UK.

Before printing, please think about the environment.