[gdal-dev] Question on how to open a raster in HDFS using GDAL

ZAZHIL-HA HERENA zazhil_ha at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 14:35:32 PST 2018

Hello, I am not sure if I should use this mailing list to ask questions but I wanted to try, I am a developer trying to use GDAL to open rasters in HDFS.

I read in GDAL documentation that starting 2.4 it is possible to open a raster in HDFS. I downloaded and compiled the latest source code available version and the generated libraries show it is 2.4 (libgdal.so.20.4.2). I compiled with option "-with-hdfs=yes" and "--with-java=yes".

I am trying to open a raster using:

    Dataset raster = gdal.Open("/vsihdfs/hdfs://node:8020/user/hdfs /spatial_raster/input_raster/kahoolawe.tif", gdalconst.GA_ReadOnly);

but I am getting the following error: "ERROR 4: No such file or directory"

HDFS system is accesible and the raster exists in that path.

could anyone please tell me if hdfs virtual system not supported yet?, or maybe I configured it wrong when compiling?

I truly appreciate your help, thanks!

Zazhil-ha