[gdal-dev] Question on how to open a raster in HDFS using GDAL

ZAZHIL-HA HERENA zazhil_ha at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 23 09:48:47 PST 2018

Thank you for the reply.

Nikos,

The path is correct, the space was an error in my redaction.

James,

I tried to run a GDALINFO in my Linux command line using the GDAL I configured and installed and I am not able to open the raster, even trying to read it from local:

      -bash-4.2$ gdalinfo /vsihdfs/file:/scratch/zherena/test/write/data/rasters/hawaii.tif
      ERROR 4: /vsihdfs/file:/scratch/zherena/test/write/data/rasters/hawaii.tif: No such file or directory
      gdalinfo failed - unable to open '/vsihdfs/file:/scratch/zherena/test/write/data/rasters/hawaii.tif'.

If I try the same commad withouth /vsihdfs/file:/... it works fine.

I also tried:

      -bash-4.2$ gdalinfo --version
      GDAL 2.3.2, released 2018/09/21

Version says 2.3.2 but libraries say: libgdal.so.20.4.2 . I am not sure if I got the latest code, this is the first time I compile it myself, I used this link to download source code:  http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/CURRENT/gdal-2.3.2.tar.gz

And I have a doubt, when configuring I used: --with-hdfs=yes, made another using: --with-hdfs = /scratch/zherena/gdal/hadoop/lib/native. Both tries did not work. I am not really sure what should I pass as a parameter to --with-hdfs?

This is the list of steps I used to build, I am using Java in my application where I plan to use gdal:

  *     make clean distclean(per your suggestion)
  *    ./configure --prefix=/scratch/zherena/gdal/build/gdal-2.3.2/outputb/ --with-complete=yes --with-java=yes --with-swig-java=yes --with-hdfs=/scratch/zherena/gdal/hadoop/lib/native --with-curl=/usr/bin/curl-config
  *   make
  *   make install
  *   cd /swig/java
  *   make veryclean
  *   make
  *   cp *.so ../../outputb/lib/
  *   cp *.jar ../../outputb/lib/

Maybe I am missing something during compile?

Thank you!!
Zazhil-ha