[gdal-dev] Best method to extract regions from a raster into a memory buffer

Aurélien Albert aurelien.albert at outlook.com
Thu Oct 11 03:28:27 PDT 2018

Hi,

I'm doing C++ applications and I'm familiar with GDAL 1.7 C/C++ API. For a new application, I'm switching to GDAL 2.2.

In this application, I have the need to extract a region from a raster :

Let's say I have 4000px x 4000px elevation raster, covering the whole earth, in EPSG 4326.

Now I want to extract the rectangle region between two points (lat_1/long_1) and (lat_2/long_2) in a 128px x 128px tile.

I don't want to extract this region in a file, but in memory, to create a data buffer and then work on this buffer with my application.

Which is the best/more performant way to do this ?

Knowing that :

 1/ the region extraction may need some resampling, so I need to be able to configure the resampling method

 2/ the extracted region boundaries do no necessary fit on exact pixels of the original dataset

 3/ the SRS will not be modified, but I may need a vertical datum shift (EGM96 to WGS84 for example)

 4/ the extraction will be repeated a lot (a lot !) to extract several "tiles" with different bounds : the application can work on really big rasters, so I prefer to avoid complex objects initialization for each extraction

Should I :

- create a wrapped dataset (VRTDataSet) and make RasterIO on it ? This seems to solve 1/ and 3/ and 4/, but what about 2/ ?

- use a WarpOperation and then execute WarpRegionToBuffer method ? This seems to solve 1/ and 2/ and 3/, but what about 4/ ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks