[gdal-dev] Having overview URL inside VRT

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Oct 18 00:12:56 PDT 2018

On jeudi 18 octobre 2018 08:16:01 CEST Denis Rykov wrote:
> Thanks for quick reply. Unfortunately this suggestion will not work for us,
> since we want to use an ovr that is located online and it is hard to manage
> URLs in this case. Is it worthwhile to implement this in GDAL?

Actually this is a little known feature of GDAL, but if you create a symbolic
link, GDALOpen() will read the link name, and open it, even if it is not a
real file.

ln -s /vsicurl/https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/data/gtiff/utm.tif your.vrt.ovr
gdalinfo your.vrt.ovr

Another more OS portable approach is to
gdal_translate -of VRT /vsicurl/.... your.vrt.ovr