[gdal-dev] Maximum size of Raster and vector layers in geopackage database

a.furieri at lqt.it a.furieri at lqt.it
Thu Sep 6 00:27:37 PDT 2018

On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 09:11:35 +0200, Even Rouault wrote:
> On mercredi 5 septembre 2018 16:48:52 CEST Newcomb, Doug wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>> I was in a meeting today and the question came up:
>> What is the maximum size of a vector data layer in a geopackage
>> database? a
>> raster layer?
>
> No limits other than the ones of the SQLite format
>
> Quoting http://www.geopackage.org/spec/
> """
> The maximum size of a GeoPackage file is about 140TB [K4a]. In
> practice a
> lower size limit MAY be imposed by the filesystem to which the file
> is
> written. Many mobile devices require external memory cards to be
> formatted
> using the FAT32 file system which imposes a maximum size limit of
> 4GB.
> """

Just for the sake of curiosity, during last years a testing session
based on SpatiaLite and RasterLite (same identical SQLite architecture
as in GeoPackage) produced an impressive 320 GB db-file, and anything
worked as expected.
We then stopped any further testing just because we had completely
exhausted any available disk storage.

bye Sandro