[gdal-dev] Accessing files on password protected OpeNDAP Hyrax servers

Stanley Glidden stanley.glidden at unh.edu
Wed Sep 19 13:54:19 PDT 2018

Hi,

Should gdal (using the dods driver) be able to read data from password
protected servers running
OPeNDAP Hyrax? The server I am trying to access is using the Earthdata
Login system.

I followed the steps outlined for LDAP access, to create a .netrc and
.dodsrc file:

https://opendap.github.io/hyrax_guide/Master_Hyrax_Guide.html#_authentication_for_dap_clients.

As shown below gdalinfo is denied access, but ncdump is not.

I am able to access opendap servers that are not password protected.

 >gdalinfo
https://goldsmr4.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov:443/opendap/MERRA2/M2I1NXASM.5.12.4/1980/01/MERRA2_100.inst1_2d_asm_Nx.19800101.nc4
ERROR 1: An error occurred while creating a virtual connection to the
DAP server:
Error while reading the URL:
https://goldsmr4.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov:443/opendap/MERRA2/M2I1NXASM.5.12.4/1980/01/MERRA2_100.inst1_2d_asm_Nx.19800101.nc4.ver.
The OPeNDAP server returned the following message:
Unauthorized: Contact the server administrator.
gdalinfo failed - unable to open
'https://goldsmr4.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov:443/opendap/MERRA2/M2I1NXASM.5.12.4/1980/01/MERRA2_100.inst1_2d_asm_Nx.19800101.nc4'.

ncdump
https://goldsmr4.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov/opendap/MERRA2/M2T1NXSLV.5.12.4/1996/07/MERRA2_200.tavg1_2d_slv_Nx.19960708.nc4?lat
netcdf MERRA2_200.tavg1_2d_slv_Nx.19960708 {
dimensions:
         lat = 361 ;
variables: