[gdal-dev] GDAL 2.5.0 beta1 available

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 12:31:17 PDT 2019

On 4/19/19 9:52 AM, Even Rouault wrote:

> On vendredi 19 avril 2019 07:42:31 CEST Simon Eves wrote:
>> Does this mean there won’t be a 2.4.2?
> I'll issuing a few extra 2.4.x maintenance bugfix releases this year, but this
> is a courtesy that will eventually stop.
>
> People needing longer support, and potentially backport of features in the 2.4
> series, are free to contact their favorite service provider.
>
> Even

Just curious, there seems to be an implicit assumption that proj4/5 and
proj6 (or GDAL 2.4 and 2.5 for that matter) can't be installed side by
side.  Why is that? Shouldn't they have different .so major versions?
Then wouldn't applications that haven't been updated yet continue to
function with the Proj/GDAL version they were built against?

I understand this is a little messy for awhile, but why would this
fundamentally be any different than a distro packaging multiple OpenSSL
versions or Qt versions to keep all the applications happy?