[gdal-dev] GDAL 2.5.0 beta1 available

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Apr 20 16:51:45 PDT 2019

Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> writes:

> On 4/19/19 4:40 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I was just trying to point out that the 6-only status
>> of 2.5.0 is likely going to lead to quite delayed adoption in packaging
>> systems.
>
> Can you share an overview of the PROJ 6 status in NetBSD?

In pkgsrc, there is currently pkgsrc/geograph/proj as 5.2.0.  This
package name is what pkgsrc considers to be the currently-packaged
version, and what everything that depends on proj depends on.  This
package is marked (in a comment) as not allowed to be updated to 6 until
I as package manger think the fallout is manageable.

In wip/proj, there is 6.0.0.  wip is technically not part of pkgsrc, but
people can install from there and then rebuild whatever they like.  I've
been doing this in order to test if things work with 6.  (packages in
pkgsrc proper are not allowed to depend on wip/.  wip is a combination
of what others might call "testing", and a place where pretty much
anyone can get write acess to place packages.)

Already quite a few more things work with proj 6 than when I started
this process.  I do not have an up-to-date list of what's trouble.

It's probably time to install proj 6 and try to build everything that
depends on proj again.

> Since NetBSD doesn't have most of the problematic packages or hasn't
> patched them as heavily as in Debian, I think that you should be able to
> move to PROJ 6 much sooner than other distributions.

I agree with your assessment.

Overall, I think we're making pretty good progress.